10.09.2011

Why am I here? - What do I want to learn?

5 reasons I chose to study on the program.
- From open days I was able to see the colleges brilliant facilities, much better than other, larger universities I had been to see.

- I was aware of the courses reputation from my own previous course which had students go onto this program.

- The courses strong links to industry which would allow much greater knowledge of industry and chance of gaining employment.

- The knowledge and experience in the course team which can only improve the quality of the education.

- The heavy workload and amount of tutor time which would help me to develop in my abilities and work ethic.


5 things I want to learn during my time on the program
- Gain a much improved and broader knowledge of type and it's uses in design.

- Learn about the numerous print and finishing processes post design, that I can apply to give my work a much more professional finish.

- Learn how to effectively use colour in my design and how it translates from screen to print.

- How to communicate effectively with design firms in order to gain industry links, hopefully leading to placements and experience in industry.

- How to stop my hair from looking like either Kevin Keegan or a mushroom cloud.


5 skills that I think are my strength
- I think my knowledge of type and ability to apply it in my design are very useful, but these can always be improved on in such a vast subject.

- My ability to work under pressure however it would be useful to have the same rate of production when not under pressure.

- Knowledge of software used on the program gained from workshops and the amount I have used it.

- I think I have a constantly improving ability to draw and visualise things, despite not doing it as much as before, it is changing due to various and changing contextual sources.

- Ever improving knowledge of colour and it's application in print - pantone etc - again, always can be improved on.


5 things I want to improve on
- Communication skills for giving feedback, gaining industry links and communicating ideas etc
 
- Ability to visualise ideas and effectively create design from this.

- My determination to produce work, and ability to produce work at the same rate when not under pressure as when I am.

- My ability to produce concepts that I am happy with and become more concept driven in general.

- My knowledge in Graphic Design as subject, It's history, uses, symbolism etc. I think CTS will be very useful in this area.


5 ways that I will evaluate my progress 
- Frequent evaluation of projects, looking at how they are going, what I can improve on, where my strengths and weaknesses lie etc.

- Make sure to ask tutors advice and keep informed between crits and sessions so I am always on top of my progress.

- Using to-do lists I should be able to track my progress easily, in turn, I should then be able to evaluate how well I am working towards my goals.

- Keeping up to date with blogger I think should be a very simple and effective way to track and evaluate my progress. I can see all my work in one place quickly and ,hopefully (if I'm doing it right) easy to evaluate.

- Peer feedback on my work has proved invaluable during crits however I need to make a habit of doing this more frequently as I think it's very important to have a range of views to allow you to evaluate it yourself.


5 questions that I want to find the answer to
- Where I want to take my design practice and how I want to further develop it leading up to my final year of study? I think this will be the year I really work out where I want to go, third year will focus it.

- Whether I want to go into freelance work or into an agency, a more collaborative process or individual.

- How best to promote myself in order to 'get myself out there' and in turn gain employment. Whether this be through contact with industry or self branding etc.

- Where do I want to end up? is Leeds a good place to stay to uphold a design career or do I need to look further afield in order to gain the best jobs in the field.

- How much does the average graphic designer earn? and how much can I expect to be able to charge after graduation in order to earn myself some kind of living?

No comments:

Post a Comment