10.25.2011

Enterprise - task 2 - Where are they? how will they find me?

Although unsure as to exactly who my client base would be and where they'd be based, with aspirations of working within a group of creatives as opposed to freelance. I feel my choice of job will be very much chosen on the basis of the work they produce and who it would be produced for. As mentioned in the previous task I am interested in design for the music industry and also editorial, however branding has become a part of my practice of late, so potential clients will more than likely be smaller independent businesses, music labels, bands, musicians and other creatives based nationally, probably in the surrounding area of where I eventually work. For now I will say this is Yorkshire and the North of England as I'd prefer to stay up here. I think working in larger cities is something I'm very interested in, however I'd much rather work abroad than in London, as I feel it would be more of an experience, somewhere like Berlin or Stockholm I'd be very interested to work in as I think their design industries are booming at the minute. 

Potential clients and employers are now very much based digitally, using the internet as a tool for business, promotion and networking because of the creative opportunities it provides. However musicians and the music industry on the whole are still very much involved in print, although there are online magazines, blogs and websites etc, print is integral to the experience music creates. The artwork that accompanies albums and the campaigns still have a huge base in the print industry because of the amount of physical goods that are sold. Print is an avenue that I am very interested in continuing so it's important that my clients and employers still have a place for good quality print. Despite businesses moving to digital because of accessibility, technological advancements, and increased social acceptance of digital media (facebook/twitter etc), print is still very much a part of graphic design.

In order to promote myself to prospective employers and clients alike I will have to make clear to them my interests within the design industry, the skills I have, and what I have to bring to their business, aswell as my specific interest in their business.  To do this, the best way would probably be to focus on self promotion using online portfolios for accessibility, business cards and paper portfolios. Also it would be beneficial to produce some kind of paper promotion that I could send to employers and clients, tailored to their business so it is evident that time has been taken over it. This could also be used as an opportunity to, 'show them what I can do' as it were.

QUS QUS
A graphic design studio in Russia working with high quality print for publication, type and layout. Despite being in Russia I think this is a really interesting studio, and the fact that the website is all in English suggests they have no problems with communication.

A screen from their website giving information about the studio and practicing designers. I'm most interested in this studio because of the type of work they are producing and the amount I think I'd be able to learn, particularly in terms of work with type and layout for print.



Another thing I found quite interesting was that the studio itself sends out a promotional mailer, so they clearly feel this is a valuable form of promotion, sending them my own mailer therefore would be beneficial, and possibly more effective as they may take time out to look at it.

I am very interested by the fact that there is a focus on print, type and layout, and in sending them something I have produced myself, I can hopefully portray to the studio my own interest and skills in this area.



No comments:

Post a Comment