5.08.2013

Contact with Hey Studio - Barcelona

After sending out a tube to Hey in Barcelona, I then e-mailed them to follow up the stuff I'd sent. Veronica the director got back to me really quickly.





I then e-mailed again and organised a conversation on skype. Veronica was really helpful despite being busy and gave loads of her time! Below is the conversation we had on skype.

How did you start your career in design? did you study?
Yes I studied graphic design and a few years later a typography degree

 Where did you study?
in Barcelona in Elisava university and the degree in Eina also in Barcelona

And when you were studying, did you have any particular designers or studios that influenced you?
Yes some but not a lot I was very ignorant that time
I remember being fun of Vince frost then when I started to work I started to explore in graphic design and know the past ages.
All the graphic design in 1960-1970 around the world. When I was studying i liked to result the design projects very simply
I discover a world in that decades

Were your influences mainly Modernist?
Yes, I prefer to look past more than the present. I have a large collection of vintage books

Any particular designers like Crouwel for example?
ikko tanaka, this is my favourite. and of course saul bass, armin hofmann...a lot...
 

How would you describe the work you produce at hey?
it is simple and we love to resolve it with geometry and powerful shapes

How many of you work at hey?
we are 3
 
What is your view on the phrase form follows function? do you think it is an outdated phrase or is still relevant and why?
Yes I think first is the idea and then the form
is 50-50
When you have a particular style you focus in that style and it’s easier that no means that is faster
  
Of the projects you’ve done at Hey, which was your favourite? or do you think was most succesful?
It is difficult to say one, I like all the series from Gandules and also Film Commission Chile
 
What is about them you think worked? and were they influenced by anything in particular?
Gandules because is based in a theme that changes every year. it is a small festival in the CCCB and we try to solve in a syntesis way

the second because was our first big identity project
  
What influences you outside of design?  and how does it affect the design you do?
I think we are influences in everything we do
not only graphic design
Is super important to have your own like with distance from graphic design.
a normal day life.

No comments:

Post a Comment