10.18.2010

creating a typeface... Self evaluation.

Partner: Sam Edwards. 

Which personality traits did you choose to respond to and apply to your typeface? 
the five personality traits that I chose initially were... Southern, confident, social, smoker & laid back. I worked around trying to fit them all to my typeface through development stages however I found that by trying to fit so many into one face, the message often became very confused. So the three that I chose to focus on and implement within the development of my final face were confident, laid back and social.

What are the reasons behind the design decisions you have made for the typeface?
First of all I looked at creating a hybrid face from two classic fonts, one sans serif and one serif, helvetica and baskerville respectively. Using the bold variation of both to get across that Sam is confident by creating a bold face. I then looked at how I could portray social within a typeface, and I wondered whether this could be done using the layout rather than the actual face. So I joined all the letters and also instead of using outline. I applied a diagonal line pattern which I think looks more at how all the letterforms could be joined. Finally I looked at laid back, and chose to portray this very literally by creating an italic face the wrong way. So by italicising the letters the wrong way it was in theory laid back.

In what ways are the results effective?
I think that results are effective in that they portray the characteristics I was trying to quite simply. Whether it is a face that is totally relevant to my partner I don't know, but I am very pleased with the outcome and think that I made decisions to alter the face effectively.

1 comment:

  1. -What personality traits do i interpret form the typeface designed to represent me?
    Confident-represented by the bold typeface used.
    Relaxed- represented by backward slanting italic.
    -Describe what i think of the typeface?
    the type face works very well, it has a good set of rules which is important in designing a typeface. In design it is simple but very effective visually.
    -In what ways is it effective and in what was is it ineffective of representing me?
    I cant say that the typeface designed to represent me is ineffective as it portrays accurately the adjectives used to describe my personality. Adjectives that describe my personality well. I especially thing that visually it represents me as it is not an over complicated type face.

    ReplyDelete